7th Grade Zero and First Conditionals

 

7th Grade

Zero and First Conditionals



ZERO CONDITIONAL

The zero conditional is also called the factual or the real conditional because we use it to:

  • talk about truths and facts. 
  • things that are real in the world.
  • talk about habits and rules 
  • to give instructions that are the result of something else happening first.

In the zero conditional, you can use either ‘if' or ‘when' in the if clause and the meaning with either word is pretty similar.

But we use ‘if' when there is a chance that the action will happen but it might not happen as well okay? If it does happen then we know exactly what the result will be.

  • If I workout, I feel healthier.

So I workout and the result is pretty obvious. When I do workout, I feel healthier, I feel better about myself. It's true.

We use ‘when' when we know for sure that that action is going to happen. We might not know exactly when it's going to happen but we know that it will okay.

  • When I workout, I feel healthier.

So I've removed the possibility that it's not going to happen. There's no question about it. I will workout.

Back to forming the zero conditional. Let's look at a few examples to help us do that.

  • When the sun sets, it gets dark.
  • If you leave milk out, it spoils.
  • If the power goes out, we can't watch TV
  • If it's cold, light the fire.

We also use the zero conditional to talk about rules.

  • Children can swim, if an adult is with them.

And we use it to talk about habits.

  • If it's hot, I go to the beach.

FIRST CONDITIONAL

The first conditional is also called the possible conditional.

Now we're talking about possible future results. They might happen but they might not happen as well.

We can use it to talk about predictions, superstitions, plans, promises, offers, suggestions and warnings like there's a lot of different ways that we can use the first conditional.

So all of these things talk about what is likely to happen in the future.

In the ‘if' clause, we still use a present simple verb but in the main clause, we use the future tense. Will.

If this thing happens then this will likely happen. It will probably happen. We can't be absolutely sure. You think so.

  • If you don't eat now, you'll be hungry later.
  • If she doesn't call, I'll be annoyed.

And just like in the zero conditional, we can still use ‘if' or ‘when' in the if clause and it depends on how sure we are that something is gonna happen.

And ‘when' tells us that we're very, very confident that the action in the if clause is going to happen and the result in the main clause is the most likely outcome.

  • When the sun sets, it will get cold.

Now what about this sentence?

  • If aliens arrive on earth, I will greet them!

Now I'll give you a clue. There is something not quite right about this sentence, something about it sounds strange but it has a present simple verb and ‘will' with the base verb following so it looks right but this isn't a possible situation.


Practice:

1. If my husband _________ (eat) too much French fries, he _________  (get) fat.

2. When I _________ (sell) my motorbike, I _________ (buy) a boat.

3. Unless ice _________ (warm) up, it _________ (not melt).

4. If I _________ (learn) this lesson, I _________ (pass) my exam.

5. Jacob _________ (pick) you up, if it _________(rains).

6. If John _________ (fail) his English exam, he _________ (not go) to the party.

7. When it _________(rain), shops _________ (sell) more umbrellas.

8. If Virginia _________ (be) late, George _________(get) ungry.

9. If my team _________(win) the championship, we _________ (celebrate).

10. If I _________(not clean), nobody _________ (do).

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

2nd B Grade - Story Telling

3rd GRADE VOCABULARY 1